Friday, July 28, 2017

The Route

Our route? Route 1 (East Coast). Technically, it seems more like Highway 1. Since I'm not from that area, I will find out what most people "call" it when I get there. I think it's easily confused with the popular Route 1 (West Coast). None the less, I'll call it Route 1 until I find out what people refer to it as.
I've learned Route 1 is the longest north-south highway in the US. It formally begins in Fort Kent, Maine and ends in Key West, Florida. I suppose you could refer to it beginning in Florida and ending in Maine, just depends on your perspective. It does intersect with several Interstates here and there. Since it's illegal for pedestrians to be on any Interstate, we will be taking detours during those times. This may add or subtract miles to our course, but detours are a necessity, and we will figure those out as we go.
I thought I would give you an idea of the states, and the miles in each state, on Route 1. Here goes:

Maine: 527 miles, as this is the 2nd greatest milage in the states we go through.

New Hampshire: 17 miles.

Massachusetts: 86 miles.

Rhode Island: 57 miles.

Connecticut: 117 miles.

New York: 21 miles.

New Jersey: 66 miles.

Pennsylvania: 81 miles.

Maryland: 81 miles.

DC: 7 miles.

Virginia: 197 miles, and I'll cross US 60 where I once stood on my last crossing.

North Carolina: 174 miles.

South Carolina: 170 miles.

Georgia: 223 miles.

Florida: 545 miles, which makes this the state I'll be in the longest.

This makes a total of 2,369 miles - give or take - depending on detours. I've not been to many of these states, and look forward to seeing them up close and personal.

I've gotten good news today, as The Northern Inn in Fort Kent, Maine has received my two boxes with my cart (Bob stroller) and supplies. They are so graciously holding them for me until I arrive Sunday evening, the 30th. Other good news is that Route 1 begins just in front of their "Inn". Perfect!

My heart is heavy knowing I will say, 'See you soon', to my sweet husband and daughter, along with  our farm animals. Yet, excitement continues to build knowing what is to come.........

With butterflies and excitable energy,
Cyndi






No comments: