Monday, March 25, 2024

First Day of Spring


As Spring descends upon the farm, this beautiful weather brings friends and family to visit. As the cold and wet winter seems to naturally discourage folks from a farm visit, it's the warm sunshine and mild temperatures that coax people out of their homes and into the world. 


Sharing Is Caring

There's so many farm animals that really enjoy and love visitors. And who also seem to enjoy being in community with one another. 


The Odd Couple always loves some love and pets.


* And as a side note: Wilbur's surgery went wonderfully and he's all healed up from his recent neutering. He's a little love bug, for sure.




The Goat and Pig Pen has been a big hit and the sharing of this space has been a luxury for us all. First, it allows both the pigs and goats to roam somewhat freely while having both safe and dry separate sleeping spaces, and the best reason of all.......this situationship remains an easy and effective way to control the weight of 2 types of farm animals that love to eat too much (talking to you piggies and goaties). It's unfortunate, but both goats (and sheep) can overeat to a dangerous point. And pigs can get too huge from overeating. So over all, the sharing of this space has been a blessing for us all. And my truly favorite part about it is that the goats (yes you, CoCo) can no longer terrorize the Tack Room's feed supplies. It just makes all our lives so much easier. Wait, let me continue though. With these 5 sweeties communing together, just feeding Maggie, Wilbur, Baby, CoCo and Pearl is so much simpler - as is true for keeping their water(s) stocked and filled easily. And as much as I want them to roam the pastures freely, it's just not practical nor seemingly the right thing to do - at least at this time. Plus, the fact that none of them can eat the chicken food has drastically decreased the amount of chicken feed I now buy. Cha Ching.


You're the prettiest girl, Pearl

Loco CoCo


Farm Boy


It's true, Brooks is a big fan of a rescue vehicle. A construction vehicle. And quite frankly, most any vehicle. He's had his construction site setup in the barn for awhile now and used it regularly.




Initial construction site in barn

Yet, now the construction site has moved
outside the barn to a muddier venue. 

Nevermind the huge turkey lurking.


There's no doubt that Brooks loves a wet and muddy construction site to play with his construction trucks. 

But I wanted to take a minute to talk about the farm side of him. This 3 year old has the capacity to go to the barn and feed all the animals appropriately, fill the waters and understands the inner workings of who-needs-what in the barn. He collects eggs with steady and soft hands, laying them gently in the egg basket. And is an expert raker of cleaning the barn floor almost like it's an instinctual process born genetically inside him. I often tell Lauren, when I step off the curb, just ask Brooks what to do with all the farm animals. He'll know. 


Cool, a baby snake

"Can I tear it open and look at the inside?"

This boy. When he came upon a baby snake (recently deceased) he's quick to not only pick it up but also to decide what next to do with it. After a discussion of options, he made the final decision to throw it to the chickens and let them eat it. And he did just that. As soon as he threw that snake in the middle of a chicken group, it was merely seconds before the chickens had torn it up and eaten it completely. As Brooks watched, I thought about all the therapy I'll be paying for when he's older. Certainly this will scar him. But no. He watched, and then turned and said, okay, let's go rake in the barn now. And he never looked back. He just thought it was really cool. Maybe I won't be paying for therapy. At least not for him anyway. 

And then, we have the opportunity for some cow-time now and again as we sometimes get to feed the neighbors cows which he loves and is far too comfortable doing. Yet, we learn fun facts from Farmer Ed like the fact that cows have no upper teeth. 


Not bothered one bit that their head is 
as big as most of him.

We do practice cow safety.
As he knows no fear until we
instill it into him. 

Ed and Gina are our sweet friends that own the land (west) next door which is pasture land for their cows. And sometimes, when Ed gets the tractor out, Brooks is the recipient of a tractor ride. 


Never enough farming to be had


Our little farm boy is merely a portion of who this sweet boy really is. To give you an idea of who Brooks is, let me share with you a picture from his school. Can you guess which is Brooks?


Yep, that's my boy



Happy to say

I'm happy to report that overall, everyone on the farm is doing well including our farm boy. And little sister, Olive is growing by leaps and bounds and turns 9 months old soon. 





Yes, Charlotte is still as wild and crazy as usual.


Love my broken pups ❣



Yet her and Sugar are forming a slow bonding process, mostly in the car seat.


We have some new neighbors on the east side.........


The most beautiful cows 

I couldn't ask for a more picturesque cow



The chickens are laying more eggs now than I've ever had happen on the daily.


Don't be a Pecky Becky

My cancer treatments are getting back on track. Work is going great. Everyone in the house is working except for the tiny human beans. I'm dreaming of what a house with just me inside might look like. Being independently owned and operated as my current status feels like a boss. Granted, this newfound change in my relationship status does not come without grief and I won't kid myself otherwise. As I've learned grieving is part of this journey I'm on - and I shall honor it as such. I walk with it, I cry with it and it's un-fightable. The more I allow myself to feel every feeling I have, the more healing takes place. For me, grief is :

love with no where to go anymore 💔

And as I take in all my happiness and abundance of joy, I also embrace the elements of the hard feelings as well. Nobody ever said it'd be easy. Everything I've wanted is sitting on the other side of fear. And we all know fear is a liar. So as I'm strapped in on a rollercoaster I hand-picked myself, I'm doing both hands-in-the-air-like-you-just-don't-care and also at times, hanging on tight with white knuckles. Fortunately, I am surrounded by love, light and peace and a seatbelt of determination. And as Brooke said it best: Protect your peace at all costs. I think about that Brooke...... All. The. Time.  

And with all this goodness around us, we are blessed to have Easter coming up - and family over. And kiddos who will be hunting for Easter eggs and real eggs. And sharing our stories of life and love with each other. It's one of my favorite things to do. 


Little Lolo back in the day 🥰
Happy Easter to you and your family!


Be cool being you,

Cyndi 


6 comments:

Kim said...

I'm so glad your treatments are getting back on track. I am loving all the videos and pictures in this post! Wilbur is living his best pig life with all the tummy rubs. He's one relaxed dude! I would have a very hard time narrowing down to a "top 20 favorites" out of all the pictures you've shared over time, but I think that one of Paul and Brooks in this one would probably make the cut. Such precious pictures of your grandbabies and fur/feather babies.

I'll let Brooke tell her own story if she wants to, but I thought of her when I saw the snake pics. ;)

Keep feeling those feelings, the healing is in motion and you've got this!

Cyndi said...

Hi Kim!! Thank you for your undying support and encouragement. It means everything to me. I, too continue to be fascinated by Paul and his desire to be with us all - esp Brooks ❤️ please take care and know I think about you - and how your doing. Happy Easter! 🐣

Brooke S. said...

My goodness.....this blog post had all the happy feels!! Each time I thought there would be nothing cuter, there was more. The Odd Couple are so adorable, and it just goes to show you that things happen the way they are meant to. If you had not taken Baby on, you would not have ended up on the House Pig Rescue list and Maggie and Wilbur may have never been united.

For the most part everyone is in pairs. You have Coco and Pearl who are equally as adorable and have such great personalities. Then there are Sugar and Charlotte that needed you in their lives and seem to be bonding with one another as well. And finally, the even odder couple...Brooks and Paul the Turkey who apparently thinks he is Brooks best friend or construction crewmate based on these pictures. LOL!

Olive is getting so big.....she reminds me a lot of Lauren and is absolutely beautiful. Brooks is most definitely a Farm Boy and I am not sure he will ever be able to go back to city life after this! I love that he has learned so much that he has become your helper. I sure could have used his help last week when I found a LIVE SNAKE in MY HOUSE!!! Let’s just say I was NOT impressed and almost packed up and moved out. Luckily Dom was home and rescued me from the ENORMOUS 6 inch snake. LOL!

Fav Quote: "The more I allow myself to feel every feeling I have, the more healing takes place." This is so true.....each experience, good and bad is part of your journey. Protect your peace has become my motto and I am quick to remove or step back from someone that disturbs my peace.

Cyndi said...

Oh my goodness, Brooke! A snake INSIDE your house?! I can understand why you’d start packing up to move right away. I’m glad Dom was there! Hopefully that’s a one-off and no more snakes show up around there. Geeezz. Glad everyone is safe and sound!

redtop said...

HOW I ENJOY ALL YOUR STORIES about farm guys and about Brooks riding the tractor, playing in mud..and so very happy your meds/drugs are doing you well... and love all the pics of the farm animals ...they are great ...

EASTER is close ..you all have fun fun!

love your blog ...we both do !!!

My Little Life said...

Hi Mom and Dad! I always love knowing that you get "first-hand" the happenings here. I blog for many reasons as it's what I love to do, but knowing that you and mom are able to "be here with me" puts my soul at peace. I know you would be here if you could. Give each other a big hug for me, and hope this milder weather is a treat for you both as well. Much love, C