Sunday, April 18, 2021

Podcast, SNUC, MDA and more



Duck It


As you may recall, our three rouen drake ducks survived what we thought was a hawk incident, and made their way back to the shelter by the pond. As they still protested the pond itself, we placed food and water in their shelter to sustain them. Then, another miracle happened. They begin going to the pond at night. We noticed accidentally while down in that area filling their water and what-not. Where are they? Over there at the water’s edge. This happened for several days, and before we knew it, all 3 ducks are paddling their little webbed feet all over that pond - day and night. Success! Yes, Huey, Dewey and Louie are truly home. They are so gorgeous, and everyone who has seen them so far thinks they are mallards who have flown in for a hang-out session in our pond. Nope, these sweet things can’t fly and are here to stay. So much to be grateful for, and we are happy that the ducks decided to make the pond their home, finally. Who knew - as I’m not sure I would have guessed this outcome. Pond, Sweet, Pond. 


You guys did it! So proud of you 👏 





Dorothy girl

Ahh, sweet Dorothy.

My girl



It was just in the last blog I spoke of the silkies, introducing them and telling the world how wonderful they are. And they really are. Everyone was sitting on eggs except Dorothy, but at night, she goes up to roost with the mamas in the coop sitting on their eggs. On this particular Saturday night, I had made an abrupt decision while mowing the front pasture (one of those ah-ha moments) that I needed to go get the chicks out from under the mamas, as it’s getting a little crowded with chicks, mamas and eggs. And I did just that. You already know that chickens go into a chicken trance at night, right. So I went to their coop where they all were resting and settling in for the night, and gently picked up each mama and rounded up the 4 chicks from them. I had a chick nursery already awaiting them in the house with a heat lamp, food and water. It’s Saturday night, and I get them settled and warm. Perfect. I somehow felt settled. Now, I primarily did this because we have lost 2 chicks so far - and we are unsure why. Were they trampled? Were they just sick and weak? Regardless, I decided on that fateful Saturday night to take the 4 chicks into the house and raise them there for a while to keep them safe. Then, the mamas can focus on sitting on the rest of the eggs. I have 3 "new to this process" frizzle mamas who are learning what to do from Frankie, so I’m trying to decrease their work a bit - and try to not lose any more chicks.


First-time frizzle mamas trying hard



And as Dorothy does each night, she too was in the coop with everyone else and was sound asleep with her peeps. I was sound asleep as well on this particular Sunday morning just as the sun was rising, when I heard chicken commotion. What’s all that noise? I’ve never heard that before. Are the chickens up early and singing their egg song? No, it sounds too stressed for their egg song. And literally with that thought, I get up, and in my pj’s and only socks on my feet, I look out the front door and can see all my frizzles and silkies running madly around in their Little Girl Area. What is going on!? I knew it wasn’t good. I run out to their fenced area and realize there’s a skunk inside their pen. The chickens are scared out of their minds. I literally run to the barn, socks and all, grab the net and run back to the Little Girl Area. I didn’t care what happened to me, but I was going to get that skunk. And I did. I swung that net over its stinky self and captured it in the net. It’s frantically trying to spray me, and I’m swinging the net everywhere, and it’s just me and the skunk - and I was going to win.

Okay, now what, I think. What do I do with this skunk. The chickens are still screaming and crying. I hold the net as far from my body as possible and head to the garage, socks and all. Now what. I see a clear plastic bin that’s empty and decide that’s where this skunk is going. I manhandled the skunk into one of those clear plastic bins and shut the lid tight. Side note: I just so happened to empty a plastic storage bin the other day, and it seemed to be there waiting for me to throw a skunk in it. It’s all a blur, but when I slung that skunk in there, it didn’t know what had happened. Just as I closed the lid, it sprayed it’s smelly spray but missed me and got plastic container in the process. Whoo, that stunk.

Damn that skunk. Now to go check my girlz. I knew there was no way that someone didn’t get got. And to my dismay, that someone was Dorothy. My heart broke then and there. I saw her. The skunk had surprised them all while they were sleeping up in the coop, and got Dorothy first, and all the other girlz got away. I was so glad the other girlz were screaming so loudly, as they let me know they needed help and I heard their cry for help, just too late.

I cleaned the forensic file scene up. I tried to calm the girlz with meal worms and treats but they weren’t having it. They were distraught and terrified. I was shaking myself. What just happened at 5 am on this Sunday morning?!  I  was out catching a skunk and trying to wrangle it in the plastic bin. I was feeling so many emotions at one time. The lump in my throat burned, my eyes welled up and I knew today was going to be a hard day.

I can never be okay with losing a chicken. I just can’t. I have to do better.

Turns out a week ago prior, we had suspected a skunk crawled under a shed on the other side of the garage and was making itself at home. I got my flashlight and on my hands and knees looked under that shed. No skunk. Was this the one? Is the skunk in the plastic bin in the garage the same one living under the shed? I knew a skunk had been under there and today was now the day to seal up the surrounding area around the shed to keep creatures out of there. Not only did it make itself at home - it had breakfast too. 


Should have done this before



David and I did seal up the bottom area around the shed so that no one can make a home there. It felt cathartic. It felt right. And I’m here to tell you, we’ve had no further skunk visits. Typically when a skunk comes into the pasture, the guard dogs kill it right away. Unfortunately, on that fateful morning I’m thinking the skunk came across the front yard and into the Little Girl area and no one stood a chance. It was game-on for the skunk. It now lives in Sherman.

Unfortunately, after the skunk incident, the remaining eggs the mamas were sitting on had: 1) gotten too cold in this whole attack as the mamas were besides themselves and not able to settle again on their eggs, and 2) that stupid skunk decided to claw several open and the chicks could not survive. Let's just say it was horrible.

When all was said and done, I’m happy to end this story with David and I placing the 4 chicks back out with the silkie and frizzle mamas. Everyone is doing great and thriving. AND, good news on top of that is the silkie and frizzle mamas are embracing the three teenagers and allowing them to sleep with them nowadays. It just takes time. I will say, for the next couple of nights after that (because it happened last weekend) I slept with the bedroom window open so I could listen for any further signs of distress. I’m hoping I’ve relocated the problem skunk. 
RIP Dorothy, I'm so sorry. 




PODCAST time, folks

Good news! Our podcast is now up and loaded with a few episodes at our podcast titled It SNUC Up On Us. I plan on adding a few more episodes soon, as well. Take a listen here:


https://anchor.fm/itsnucuponus









We are very excited to now share the blog in podcast form, and the next episode(s) that will be loaded to the podcast will include “Day One” through “Day 45” of David’s cancer treatment(s) for SNUC.

When David was diagnosed with sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma, we quickly realized the lack of support and information available for patients diagnosed with SNUC and their families. SNUC is one of those rare cancers whereby information is limited, connection to others is marginal and we in turn are hoping to bring light to this issue by bringing about an increased awareness to this particular head and neck cancer. Our hope is to touch other’s lives who are dealing with cancer, not just SNUC, and share our own journey with those looking for support and connection in times of uncertainty in their lives.

Bare with us while we load more episodes, and feel free to share the link with others who on their own cancer or illness journey. We are all in this together. It’s easy to feel isolated when something like this happens in our lives. David and I have felt strongly that staying positive and trusting in God is what serves us in regards to what has shown up in our lives. We desire to wrap our arms around everyone, and reaching out through a podcast helps us feel more able to reach those that need that.






Bubbi Bug


My baby and her baby


This little guy turned 6 months old. He’s such a blessing in our lives, and we love watching all the new things he’s doing lately.


He’s a good eater


Yes, he’s eating all kinds of soft foods now. His favorite you ask? Sweet potatoes. And banana. And blueberries. Granted, it’s all mashed up for safety. Let’s just say he’s a big fan of food, and he tries it all willingly. Even pureed brussel sprouts, although with a grimace with each bite. 


What cha think about that one


Brooks is visiting museums, and learning the appreciation for art at an early age.

And when the day is done…..


Night night, sweet dreams 


He sleeps. And a big turning point for Brooks has been his crib sleeping. Crib sleeping cannot be taken for granted. It doesn't just happen, right? Lauren and Ryan worked on his sleep training, and it’s paid off for everyone. Brooks sleeps so well in his crib, and is able to turn and twist as he so desires in his sleep. He’s a good roller now, going from front to back and back to front. And with a full tummy of yummy food and a bottle to boot, he’s sleeping better than he ever has. Which in turn allows Lauren and Ryan to sleep.

As we all know, things constantly change with babies, and no doubt will be true here as well. Teething happens. Developmental changes occur that create new feelings and unexpected new adventures. For now though, this little bubbi is full of smiles, giggles, and doing simple things in life that just make you smile in return. Where’s the pause button? I need to slow all this down.




MDA, here he comes!




David makes his way to MD Anderson on Monday for his first set of follow up visits since his cancer treatments. He'll say Hello to Dr Rosenthal, his radiation oncologist, and to Dr Lu, his chemotherapy oncologist, he'll have some labs completed and them have an MRI in the afternoon. Then, on Tuesday, he sees Dr Hanna, the superstar of-all-things-SNUC oncologist for the results of his MRI. We are holding good thoughts and asking for God's grace. And you know we will keep you posted.

In other good news, David will have his hernia surgery the following week. Things are looking up for David - and he's excited to be moving forward with some things on his wish list.

I, in staying true with good news, have completed 2 out of 5 of my iron infusions and am just starting to feel like it's making a difference. I'm thrilled. So much so, that I signed up for the Cowtown half marathon coming up in May. Let's just jump back in with both feet into a in-person race - and oh, it's a perfect excuse to go to Fort Worth and see Lauren, Ryan and Brooks.




Cheers,

Cyndi














5 comments:

Brooke said...

Although this post had a sad part, it was overall very good news on the Graves Farm. The ducks have finally decided to be ducks...that is greatness!

I am very sorry to hear about Dorothy. What a blessing it was that you had taken the 4 babies inside that night before the skunk attack. Although this skunk incident ended sadly, I laughed and laughed imagining you running out there in your socks with a skunk in a net trying not to get sprayed while chickens are also running around screaming. I really wish that this had been captured on camera as I am sure it was quite comical.

I cannot believe how big Brooks is getting. Time is flying by so fast.

I am sending positive thoughts all the way to Cancer Island. I hope David gets an A+ on his report card. I know he is anxiously awaiting that hernia surgery!!!

I am also very happy to hear that your treatments are going well. You definitely take the saying "Go Big or Go Home" to a whole new level. I am not sure how you manage to go through treatments, save chickens, and train for a marathon all without missing a beat!! You really are a superhero!

Kim said...

I'm so sorry about Dorothy. That entire thing just sounds awful. Stupid skunk....UGH.

Love the pictures of Brooks and his mama! I also grimace when I eat brussel sprouts, though I will say I've never had them pureed. :-) Smart boy.

Rooting for a good report for David, and I'm in awe of you. I actually read this sentence twice to be sure of what you said.... "So much so, that I signed up for the Cowtown half marathon coming up in May." Truly amazing, you go Cyndi!!

redtop said...

LOVE YOUR BLOGS .....AND BROOKS MAKES THEM EVEN MORE FUN ...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad David is getting good news and will get even more with his operation upcoming.....yea

thanks for including us in the blog ....

My Little Life said...

Brooke - Can you believe the ducks are being ducks!? AND we had some wild ducks fly in and hang out at the pond and Huey, Dewey and Louie said, Uh No, this is our pond #proudofyouthree
I can't believe my girl Dorothy is gone. The good news is the other Dorothy(sister of Dorothy who I named the same because it's easier that way) I had given to a chicken-lady friend ended up having chicks, and so that friend is going to give me one of Dorothy's chicks, and I'll name her Dorothy. It's a Dorothy (Dot) fest over here! So glad the barn cam did not catch me - or did it......

My Little Life said...

Kim - Those skunks! So stinky and destructive. Just ask Maybe......hope all is well with you and just let us know when you and Brooke want to drop by and pet a chicken!
Cyndi