Monday, April 13, 2020

Farm-ish


Find what you love and let it kill you

Between working, caring for farm animals, mowing, gathering eggs for a (very) small egg business and staying home during this pandemic, I have learned a few things. My main take away is that most everything I love is right here at home (well, Lauren isn't, but she's close). Therefore, with more time at home, the projects, chores and fun never stops. I can literally always find something to do around here. I feel very blessed. Keep in mind I have no small children to home school, which is why I might feel so 'at ease' about staying home.


I'm a lot

There's no doubt about it. I'm a lot. I get tired of myself sometimes, so I can imagine those around me do too, at times. I'm not sure how David does it, but he's still around after over 30 years. He obliged me with doing many outrageous things over the years. Biking across Tennessee (behind me), as I ran 314 miles in the Vol State race. He towed a trailer on his bike with everything we'd need to survive days on the road.



He did this at least twice, mind you. In sharp contrast to that, he's stayed home and cared for everything while I left for 78 days to run East/West across the US, and again when I went North/South (which I hope to finish one day). He's met me at all kinds of destination runs, trying to find me in the dark or unfamiliar places. He crewed me in a car while I was running the RougeOrleans 126.2, all up on the Mississippi levy for 126.2 miles for 40 hours straight - up 2 nights in the freezing cold and wind. I could go on, but you get the idea. David did participate in his fair share of marathons, half marathons and triathlons. We've raced in merky lakes and cold, cold waters with a wet suit in tow. But really, he's more of the BBQ at home and watch a game type of guy. Our mash-up has now created a farm with mindful occupants. This took time to get to this new destination, unlike a 100 mile run that will stop within 24 hours (give or take some). In many ways, what helped prepare me for this chapter of my life was the world of Ultra runners. We/they are people who crave extremes, push hard and have learned to play the mental game to see long distances through. I've learned a lot from these friends of mine, and applied many of the lessons I've learned to life itself. Example being about 4 years ago, when we hopped aboard the farm animal train and rode it hard. As time has gone by, we have honed in on how to right-size so that we are able to manage all we have. David is still crewing (as we call it in the Ultra world) and we work hard to take care of our precious cargo here at home. There's never been a better time than this quarantine to tweek details and work on projects. David has retired his bike (and cart) and I've stayed closer to home, more than ever. Wheel he miss those fun times out on the road? Hard to say.


What you definitely have time for now

It's been awhile since I outlined the population here on the Graves Farm. Let's take a closer look:

Chickens:        31 hens + 6 silkies + 4 teenage chicks + 2 baby chicks = 43
Goats:               3  Chia, Petunia and Dotty
Sheep:              5   Belle, Lulu, Grace, Licorice and Deuce
Donkeys:          2   Mama and Papa
Mini horses:     2   Dora and Diego
Guard Dogs:     2  Whisper and Levi
House Dogs:     2  Sugar and Maybe
Ducks:              1 dozen

Total Population: 71


Life is like a box of chickens

I never could've dreamed it, but our silkies have had 3 baby chicks on their very own. Sadly, we lost Blossom. But 3 silkie chicks have survived. 

Typically, the baby chicks stay inside the Nursery,
with the Nursery Cam keeping an eye on them.
Our oldest silkie chick is now
watching out for it's younger siblings. They are
only outside during warm weather days.
With all this eggcitment, we have deemed
the adult silkies (fenced ) area the Hippie House.
Our 3 teenage chicks are two leghorns and a
wyandotte, who are beginning to leave their
coop to free range for short periods of time.
They are in there, Sugar. 
Guest House

While these teenagers are growing up and adjusting to life with the others, they are staying in the Guest House, which is a new coop we've set up to allow for the time between the Nursery and living full-time with the actual flock in the barn. As they grow and adjust, they will eventually live with the flock and become one with them. But this takes time. 


One-der

We're told not to play favorites, but if your wondering what my recent favs are......



My chicken shoes - and Poppy. Poppy is by far our friendliest chicken. She is front and center in everything we do outside. You can lean down to pick her up, just like you would a dog or cat. Sweet thang.


Shut the front door

I drive past a horse and donkey rescue each day to work and then when I walk during my lunch break, I walk right past it. I've had my eye on a couple of mini horses there. I say Hello to them, and see how they are. They watch me walk by, with their shiny coats and brown eyes. One day, the "people" who run this program were there. You know me, I'm walking right past there for lunch break and say Hello to them. We talk and sure enough, those mini's have been there for 1 year (after rescued from a kill pen) and are waiting for their forever home. A mother/daughter duo - Faith and Hope.
Coming soon!
Now faith and hope mean everything to me. They are words are that I live by. I carry faith and hope in my pocket everyday, I hold onto faith and hope in hard times, and now, here's Faith and Hope staring straight at me. After much thought and a serious discussion with David, they will be joining Dora and Diego soon! More on them next time, as we work with the rescue to get them transported and adjusted. They have not had an easy life, but we're hoping their life will change soon.


Tablescape

While I'm still driving to work to the clinic each day, David is working from home. He typically has a 1 hour drive to work, and another hour back home, so he's been granted 2 more hours in his day with this quarantine. I'm very happy for him, and even though he may use some of this time to work more, he's able to use some of it for himself. His new office at home can be a little loud, but he seems happy with it.

There's a lot of natural light in his new office.
And a new assistant. 
There may be some sheep poo close by. 
Overall, he's pleased with working from home. I imagine he has to hit the mute button more often on conference calls. Good news, the bathroom is out back of the barn, and no toilet paper needed.


So many questions


Is there AC in the barn?

Yes, if Belle isn't hogging it.



What do you do on your lunch break?





Hold the horse while the vet cleans his foot he
got caught in the fence.



Is there security there?



Absolutely.



Lettuce Do Better

It's time like these that we all give back in little ways. David and I are reading children's books (on video) for the Celina Public Library to place on their Facebook page. Due to the library closing, they are having virtual story times for children, as most libraries are these days. We contributed to this effort, and plan on doing more. The best part is we don't have to be professional or pawfect. Kids love spontaneity - and animals. Just be you, because if you're not you, whose going to be you?

He read a book for the horses.

The goats and chickens enjoyed it.
Sugar loved this one 


As I close, I'm holding you all in my thoughts and prayers during these unsure times. 



😘

Cyndi







4 comments:

Brooke S. said...

OMG....I cannot wait for Hope and Faith to join the family. With names like those, it was meant to be. I noticed that I heard more barn noises while on calls with David, but didn't realize, he had moved his desk to the barn. I love it and his assistant. Mine just lays on my feet, farting and snoring all day!

Kawika said...

Brooke, I don't think that James particularly cares for you talking about him like that.....just say'n.

I do miss the road life at times, where it is just you and I, alone in the wilderness, with no earthly idea what is going to happen next, or where the heck we actually are. The only certainty is that it will be something you'll never expect!
The walk up the mountain in the Tennessee moonlight will never be forgotten.
Lava ewe!

redtop said...

fantastic...one of my fav of your blogs …..your skill, ability to entertain and motivation is amazing.....you and David both are living a great life.... fworking hard and playing hard , both..... you all are very special.... I think it is the Aggie in you that prevails ???? thanks for sharing with us ….

do stay protected and healthy …… these certainly are very scary and unsure times..... this virus is bad +++..... and the question is ….. will we get back to anything near normal.....or a new normal will happen ???? unsureness prevails ….. please keep your interesting blogs going.....I love all your animals …….. fun to try and keep up with each and names !!! thanks

redtop said...

second reading better than first...………..love it