Sunday, July 14, 2019

Finally (again)

It was last Thursday early evening that I cycled (biked) home from work to find that Chia was finalizing the birthing of her twins. I rode up, and scanned the property as I usually do, to assess the pastures, animals and how everyone is doing. It's a natural process to do this, as so many times random and unusual things happen while I am away at work. Sometimes bad - and sometimes good. That day, it was good, from what I could tell from afar, but I would need to go investigate close up, to make sure all was well. I literally hopped off my bike and ran over the the side pasture to find Chia licking her second kid clean. I could see the first kid trying to stand, stumbling, and the second kid still wet, but mostly cleaned off. I do what I always do. I immediately named them. The first (girl) born is all white with tan ears. Almost a look alike of her mama. Petunia, I'll call her. As I focused back on the second born, I could see a black dot on her face, with other black dots decorating her body. Dot. Her name would be Dot (Dottie). At the time, I did not know if they were boys or girls, but I named them just the same. Petunia and Dottie.
Then, I opened the gate and ran over to the three of them. Chia was busy doing her mama-thing, and doing it masterfully. Both little kids were breathing, and thriving. Thank you, Dear Lord, as our success rate was at an all time low with the birthing of kid goats, currently sitting at a strong and disturbing 0%. My first thought is, Would they take milk from the udder? Would Chia "take" to both of them? Would we end up with another bottle baby? We have not have twins successfully raised by (sheep or goat) mama thus far, and therefore bottle babies happen. We are fine with bottle feeding lambs and kid goats. What I really wanted this time, was to have Chia feed both, with hopefully both udders functional. Fast forward a number of hours, and we were able to (tentatively) determine that Chia was feeding them both, and not rejecting either one of them. They are 3 days old today, and I'm happy to report that Chia is certainly one of the best mama's we've had on the farm (besides Belle, of course). Completely attentive, loving and nurturing to her babies. Petunia and Dot are happy, healthy and playful. They drink from their mama, play, rest/sleep and repeat. The twins are very attached to each other, and they are one happy family. That makes me one happy me. Here's our new rays of sunshine:



Dot, at only hours old. Amazing how they can stand shortly after being born.



Petunia only hours after being born. And here's the whole family:



Chia is one of the goats we saved out of the "Pond Incident" (see blog post for that situation). Looking back on it, she was early-on pregnant at the time, and we had no idea that when we bought her, she was pregnant with these two nuggets already. We have bonded with her over these last couple of months while keeping her separate from the others, while we awaited her birthing and kids (to keep her, and her kids safe). She's very much like Nona, just a sweet goat who loves to be loved.
With this joyous occasion happening, we have placed her look-alike sister, Georgia, back out in the pasture with the other goats. Her job completed, of being Chia's roommate, and is now back with the herd. Chia and her kids will join them after another couple of months. Until then, Chia and kids will remain isolated to bond, allow the kids to grow, and eventually get back with the goat herd.



Chia, with Georgia, who are look alikes who blend well with one another. Georgia is the shyest of all our goats, and prefers to only watch human beings. Georgia's motto? Look, but don't touch, please. All while Chia says, Yes, Please to petting and love.



So where's the others in the goat herd? Here's three rambunctious and curious loves:
From left to right, Twizzler (only boy goat we have, who happens to be wethered), Peanut (formally known as Sprinkles) and Nona. Yesterday, we placed Georgia back out with these three musketeers. The four of them get along well, with the protection of Dixie and Davis. All is well in the back pasture with these folks. We have found the goats to be more social than our sheep, and are also master puzzle solvers. The fence parameter has to be locked down tight for these cuties. Did you know goats groom themselves? They are constantly licking, chewing and providing self-care to keep themselves shiny and pretty. Their kryptonite? Getting wet (rain). They hate to get wet, walk in the wet grass and be wet. Silly goats.



Moving on to our Sheep World, this is Eve, with her two lambs (when they were about 1-2 months old), Clara and Grace. Eve refused to feed Grace, and so she was fed by a bottle. Eve's twins were drastically different in size, but Grace did eventually grow to be the same size as Clara. Both Clara and Grace are full grown, very close sisters, and love to be petted and brushed. Having bottle fed Grace has allowed us to be very close to her. She's all grown now......



Grace, and her partner in everything she does, Clara:



Curious Clara, always seeing what you're doing. Her Baa is loud and alarming, just like her daddys, Sam The Ram (who now resides in Oklahoma).



Clara was unsure of us at first, due to being so attached to her mama, Eve. But now, she's all about the love. Notice their headdress. They are full black-headed. Clara's neck scarf is just a little larger than Graces'. Two of the sweetest sheep ever, who vie for petting and love.

Now, you likely remember Belle, our first ever sheep given to us at one day old, who we struggled to keep alive. Side note **She also gave birth within weeks (last year) of Eve birthing her twins.
Belle is so very special to us, as we raised her in the house with a diaper, and then outside with the dog(s). She's pretty sure she is not a sheep.



The epitome of country living.



Maybe and Belle. Their own special herd.



David, our Shepherd.



Belle, Sweet, Belle. It's almost like I birthed her myself. She holds my heart.



LuLu the Lamb, Belle's one and only lamb, whose grown now. Their headdresses are similar, and she's Belle's Mini-her. They are best friends, do everything together, and she prefers not to be touched or petted. Lulu is shy, and has a sweet Baa that melts your heart. You may admire her from afar, please.



Licorice. Our black sheep of the group, and unfortunately, there's truth to this myth. While Licorice is kind and quiet, Eve disallows her in the barn. She's not like the others, and is treated as such. What a crazy world we live in. Eve is the Sheep Herd Leader, and what she says goes. When it rains, we have to remind Eve to be gentler and kinder herself, and let Licorice inside. Licorice rounds out our sheep herd to the nice number of 6. They really do all get along most all the time. They were recently sheared and it makes tolerating this summer heat much more bearable.

Even though I never knew in my lifetime that I would have sheep or goats, they are certainly a highlight - each and every day. Some call me a Chicken Lady, and I've infiltrated my family with the love of chickens, as well as sheep and goats. What we have is a Hobby Farm, a Petting Zoo and a 3 Pasture Circus of "who knows what will happen today". I'm constantly learning and evolving. How I keep everyone alive is beyond me. One thing I know for sure, if I've been given this opportunity to care for these fabulous creatures, I will do my very best to keep them happy and healthy.

I'll keep you posted on the kid's progress. We've already had two unfortunate incidents with Petunia and Dot, at only 3 days old. Yesterday, we could not find them, as they are very good at playing Hide and Go Seek. Then today, Dot slipped under the fence at 3 days old to pay a visit to the goat herd in the back pasture. Dixie and Davis about licked her til she was dripping wet. I've never heard David curse so much trying to keep things under control around here. As Sheriff, he takes his job very seriously. There's rules around here people. No animals hurting other animals.

We re-secured the goat kids area today. We are masters at fencing and re-fencing, and then making more fencing adjustments. It never stops. Petunia and Dot are proving themselves to be just as curious as all the rest. And they are only days old.

My heart can only handle so much. Can't things be calm for just a day? Uh, no.

Okay then. Bring it on.

Cyndi
Chicken Lady with her Chicken Family









5 comments:

redtop said...

wow and more wow....i love the pics of the newborn and others ..I have read and re-read this blog ….. I really enjoy seeing what you write about so cleverly ….

thanks for sharing...…. I pull it up for Jenny to see also ….

thank good the newborns are healthy and frisky ...

goats and sheep ….. lot alike and fun fun they are obviously ….

thanks for sharing ….you farmers are soooooo dedicated …...love it !

redtop said...

thank you chicken lady for all the fun pics......great stuff …

I enjoy it over and over ..

you got me memorizing names ……..yikes

Belle is a cutie ...your fav I guess ..

My Little Life said...

Brooke - Nice catch! Peanut, formally known as Sprinkles. David could not remember the name Sprinkles, so I had to change it.

My Little Life said...

Dad - This is the best way to show you all the animals - from afar. Glad you like it!! There will be a quiz with all the animals names one day. Friend Brooke has them down pat.

redtop said...

I AM BUSY LEARNING NAMES..... these all are cute little fellows.... so enjoyed the pic and descriptors...…..I feel like I know them all personally ….ha


thanks again.... I soooooo enjoy, over and over, reading and seeing pics to get that 'farm-feeling ' going ….. love it ! I see why you all do love it so much …..