Saturday, May 18, 2019

What a week!

Sometimes, when things settle down, they fire up in a different and new way. Last week was a good example of this. It all started with Nona (Ms No Name) head goat extraordinaire, who had a wound on her back, left leg. It was circular and grew fast, became swollen and draining pus all in the blink of an eye. Goats are dirty. This did not help matters. The Vet said (since Nona is smaller and manageable, about 55 lbs) to bring her up to their office for evaluation. So, David and I took Maybe’s dog collar off of her, and put it on Nona. Their necks are the same size, anyway. Then, we attached a dog leash and off we went. Nona traveled in the back of my car, like a dog would, and cried the whole way. Separation from her herd greatly disturbed her. Upon arrival at the vet office, David was the main one assisting with navigating Nona. Carrying, pushing, prodding - as she’s not really good at walking on a leash. Into the office, Nona is maa-ing, sometimes rather loudly, announcing her distressed arrival. The dogs owners and people there find this amusing. Nona doesn’t. When it’s our turn, the Vet sees her wound, debrides it, shaves around it, washes it, and gives her an antibiotic and tetanus shot, and anti-inflammatory serum. I’m then instructed to give her another shot after 3 days, and that is sent home with me. We pay, and are on way back home to reunite the queen goat with her herd. Side note: Nona is our only goat without horns - and she’s in charge. Just saying. Power is not necessarily a physical attribute, as much as attitude and mental strength is. She’s my perfect example. Nona has since been given her second shot. Shout out to David for holding her for me, and her owie is all better. We also were given an antibiotic spray that we used each day (can you see me out in the pasture chasing her around to spray her leg?!). She’s a sweet girl, so I didn’t always have to “chase”, just beat her at the game. Treats. It worked most every time.

That’s how the week started, then ramped up with the 2nd annual sheep shearing event. I’ve decided to consider selling tickets to this event. It’s like nothing you’ve seen before. Side note: When we have people over, most have no idea of what goes on behind the scenes. Lamb births, vet visits, donkey grooming, sheep shearing and so much more. It reminds me of the time I ran the DisneyWorld marathon. Much of the route was in the Park, and we ran behind (and some in front) of all the buildings, rides, and workshops. The people working in the behind-the-scenes places were sewing, mending, creating, and working their a$$es off to make the “front” look so dang good. There are glass windows so you could see them as you ran by. The public is not allowed in those areas and on those roads, when visiting the park. But the marathon gave us a peek into it all. More like an eye-opener. These areas are well-disguised with gates and such, so that patrons don't even realize what's back there. I digress. We are no DisneyWorld, but behind the scenes things happen on the farm - a lot. Even Lauren didn’t know what all really goes down out in the barn. But that would change....

First, let me backtrack a minute. I’ll start by saying it all begin (still in the same week) a tingling and numbness that created a burning and stinging sensation in my legs, primarily down the back of both my legs. Back pain. Then it went into my left arm. There was very little sleeping I could handle, due to this type of pain. It was unrelenting. I was overdosing on ibuprofen just to not cry and tremble. I went to see Dr Richard Brown (in McKinney) who is amazing at handling these types of things, and I trust him impeccably. He has become a family friend who (besides my husband) is the most loyal man I know. He handles these types of problems (back, cervical and hip pain issues). The pain in my back was radiating nerve pain down my legs. The moral of that long assorted story is I would not be available for the sheep shearers. I did not want to cancel it, as the sheep are hot hot hot with their thick wool coats, 80 degree weather and sunshine. I have to get them relief. I then enlisted Lauren’s assistance. She agreed to come early that morning to the farm, to navigate the shearing appointment. (Thank you, Lauren!) I had set up both Barn Cam’s such that David and I could watch- or review video - of this going’s-on, since neither of us could be there. These are our babies, our hearts. It’s like missing our child’s first haircut or first manicure. And, more importantly, Jerry The Sheep Shearer couldn’t come, so I had hired another young lady(s) instead. Yes, Katie, with her side kick, another young lady whose name I didn't get. They are well known in the sheep shearing world (Right Choice Shearing). I had heard about them, and couldn’t wait to see and watch all the hub bub. I was excited they were coming to our place.

It was not meant for me to be there that magical morning, but Lauren was, and I was most grateful for her. I could always reference the Barn Cam though, to watch it all go down in movie form. So that same morning the sheep would be sheared, I am sitting in Dr Brown’s office. He allowed me to spill my story to him, listening and evaluating. Possibly a pinched nerve. He’d order an MRI, to double check things, gave me steroids to decrease inflammation in my back and neck, along with a medication to help with my nerve pain (tingling/burning/numbness). Later that day, I completed the MRI. Now if you know me, your thinking, ‘I wonder if Cyndi over did it with running or biking?’ I’ll start by saying this situation (pain) has not occurred in the past, as this was the first time I have experienced it. No doubt that I've over-done things before when it comes to running and biking. Ironically, I  hadn’t, this time. Matter of fact, I couldn’t even figure out how I might have done it - and is likely due to too much relaxing. Just another reason to Go, Man, Go.

So, I’m still in process of getting my own problem figured out. My pain is better, but still there. I’ll keep you posted. Dr Brown is super awesome, and always makes things better. To Be Continued.....

Now the sheep shearing event on the other hand, was handled and completed. Katie, and her cohort shearer came in our barn and rocked it. We had everything ready, as they had instructed us to. Then Lauren handled it all, with them. She’s written her own version of this event, as I would otherwise have transported you through it via video footage. My guest blogger, Lauren Graves (who happens to be an amazing blogger in her own right) will outline it out for you this time. I’m excited to present a different vantage point and perspective, and thank her for sharing it with everyone. Look for that to come.

In the mean time, the sheep are super happy, clean, and have their summer outfits on. They are smooth, and I am able to see exactly what they really look like naked. Freckles, spots, beauty marks and scars. Beautiful. My ewes are gorgeous, each with their own personality and special Baa's. I know whose Baa-ing without even looking at them. ** Thank you to those young ladies who kick butt shearing livestock. Simply fascinating.

As I'm feeling better, and back to moving more again, it feels good. That type of experience is God's way of saying 'and this, My Friend, is how others might feel' - which continues to fill my cup with empathy and understanding for what people go through. Luckily, mine is resolving and feeling good again feels great! God is Good.
Cyndi

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I'm so glad to hear that you and Nona are on the mend. Don't start back doing too much too soon though.