Sunday, August 5, 2018

What's new? Haiku

So it seems that these two words have become a fun game for Lauren and I lately. We have rarely used it in our day to day lives, but lately a lot has been happening. So one day recently, I spoke with Lauren on the phone - as I do sometimes - in the morning. Then, we spoke at lunch time as well that day,  and I blurted out, "What's new?!" Mom, she said, we just spoke this morning, with her inflection asserting as if nothing new could have happened between then and now. It could have. So, I wrote a haiku to help explain how I feel about this phenomenon :

What's new, What's new, you?
In only a few short hours,
Something could be new.

Life changes in the blink of an eye. Sometimes good things, sometimes bad things, yet it's mostly 'life' happenings in our day to day events. And most recently, there are new things taking shape around here.

Speaking of Lauren, she (too) is making a job change. I say "she too" because I did so about 2 months ago now. Of which, that has worked out well. And coincidentally, Lauren will be taking a new Adult Services Librarian position at the Frisco Public Library. She is currently the Youth Services Librarian at the Celina Public Library. The opportunities she has are tremendous in this highly competitive field of librarians. It's an interesting situation. To be a Registered Nurse, an Associate Degree of Nursing is the minimum requirement. Granted, most nurses have a Bachelors degree, or higher. But in order to become a librarian, a Masters degree is required. Specifically, a Masters of Library Science. The market for librarians is quite vast, compared to the market for nurses. Nurses are a commodity, while finding a librarian job can prove to be more difficult, as the market has more availability from which to chose from. Therefore, librarian jobs are fewer to come by. Back to What's New. Lauren will be starting her New position this coming Monday. But that's not all that's New. Let me outline this.
Lauren bought a New-to-her house about 6 months ago. It's too far from her New work location. So, she decided to rent it. She went about this herself, and secured a New renter who will move in soon. Therefore, what's really New? Lauren will move into our house, while she begins her New job, and will be closer to Frisco. This also means we will have 3 other New move-in guests. Tula, her Aussie who has lived with us before. Bodhi, a somewhat New Aussie whom Lauren has since acquired. And lastly, Finn, her sweet calico kitty who has also lived with us prior, as well. So four New roommates will bring New things and New beginnings. Congrats, Lauren! Super excited for you!

What's New with me, is not necessarily a New thing. Actually, it's always New when I sign up for an Ironman race. No matter where you may do one, or how many times you've done the same one. It's always New. So that's What's New with me? I plan on participating in the Chattanooga Ironman in late September. Basically what this means is lots of training. Time in the pool, on the bike and out running. I'm not a trained swimmer, and this season, I decided to seek help and attempt to become a better swimmer by joining a local Master swim group. I show up at the pool at 5 am and swim for roughly an 1 - 1 1/2 hour. That's New, that's for sure. What's even Newer than that is having a Swim Coach "realign" you so regularly, that there's so many thing's I'm thinking of each time a take a stroke to swim, my mind is reeling. Sometimes, my brain hurts. Ride and Glide or Ride the Glide. However you coin it. There's no willy-nilly swinging your arms. That's not swimming, so he tells me. He asks me why after 5 Ironman, have I decided to come learn how to swim. That's New.
The biking part is something I have to work at, and for me, just being on the bike for long distances helps. It usually puts me out in the rain on my bike at some point, in the fierce heat, or biking when I may be tired. These are not always pleasant things, but certainly assist in putting unique situations in your back pocket so that when it happens on race day, you've been there, done that. And it won't be New. I bike to work a couple of days a week and bike long on the weekends. It's all about putting the time in on your bike.
Running. What can I say? It's my favorite part of the race, but it's too bad that it happens after you've swam 2.4 miles and biked 112 miles. Nothing is really all that great at that point. But if you can grind out a marathon (26.2 miles running), then you can cross the finish line and they will call your name. Which happens to be my favorite part of the day, after enjoying the journey of the swim, then the bike, then the relentless run. Usually the last 10 miles of running, I repeat in my head uncontrollably....They're about to call my name! And I tell others around me. They're about to call my name! If you make the swim cut-off and the bike cut-off and get to the run (there's a timeframe there, too) then you reap what you've sowed for so so long. Just keep moving, because they're about to call your name. Every person who crosses the Finish Line hears those magic words, "So-in-so name, YOU. ARE. AN. IRONMAN! I always smile real big, hands in the air, and am so happy I could cry. Then, the Finish Line Attendant asks (everyone), "Are you okay?" I always answer, I don't know. Then I start looking for food at that point. I'm okay.

As I head out to bike,
Hills, wind, sun, beauty all around me,
My heart is full of gratitude.

What's New with David, you ask? He's always got things cooking. Literally and figuratively. He's certainly cemented a rockin BBQ brisket with no problem. He's out in his wood-working workshop making things. He's going to go to as many UT football games this season as he can. His UT season tickets are a New thang. He ordered a New car. He's got New things going on himself. He does SO many New projects around here on the farm - and for the house, I'm exhausted thinking about them all. He's a busy bee buzzing around, working on 9 things all at the same time. Probably more than that. I appreciate all he does!

How do you do it,
Craftsman, PitMaster, Baker,
Don't forget the pie!

We have had a few New things I had mentioned in earlier blogs about the farm recently. Our New chickens have settled in nicely. Our Newly shaved sheep look marvelous! (Although Belle got sunburned). We hope to have New lambs next year. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we'll be getting a New roof. Things are happening. So next time you ask someone What's New only hours after you last spoke, there could be a lot of New things going on. In the blink of an eye, something New has happened.

Haiku's are New - for me at least. 5, 7 5. The last time I wrote a haiku was when I was in 4th grade.

Where has the time gone?
Like it's evaporated.
Abracadabra.

I can hear my family screaming right now, Make her stop!
As if I'm singing loudly off key.

For now,
Cyndi











3 comments:

Kawika said...

Where does she get it,
That mantra that rules her life.
My Go-Man-Go wife!

My Little Life said...

Nicely done. Lava ewe!

redtop said...

clever clever …… love the ' new ' for you all.....that makes life so interesting... and Lauren coming home is a bonus …..good luck to her on her new job.....GETTUM Lauren......proud of you !


and we have a retired senior English teacher in our Audubon club … she also taught us all to do the HAIKU ….. and we did this while talking about birds ….was fun!


hope you get tuned up big time for your triathlon.....that one is a BIGGIE ….good luck ..


as to David … good luck with the Horns football..aalways fun to go to the college games ……...such rare enthusiasm ….fun fun

love your blogs gal..... glad all is going well on farm ….. yea


and enjoy your new 4 home folks coming in......two and 4 legged..... ha

love ya dad