Sunday, August 2, 2026

Your right, Alice Walker!

" Whatever is mine is looking for me 💜 "    

   - Alice Walker, novelist and poet

Oh, and I certainly can't leave this one out.....

" Peace comes to you by being peace ".

Alice...girl.

Your interviews, your work, your presence - it all feels so grounded.  Calm. Matter-of-fact. Like someone whose been through some things but doesn't need to shout about it.  

You simply are.

Once I heard your words, I couldn't unring that bell. I'm deeply grateful for women who inspire by not only what they say, but by how they move through the world.


Which brings me to this.....


The Cannons have arrived!

Turns out...

We really were looking for one another all along. 

And somehow, with God's steady hands guiding the whole thing - my family found their way back home.

Lauren, Ryan, Brooks (5....almost 6 which I'm told is a very important distinction) and Olive (3) have officially made the move from Gunter to Wolfe City. 


His preferred means for travel 
Why walk when you can ride 


Their 'country' garage awaits them

It's less HGTV and more "where'd we put the rake?"  - which is exactly how it should be.


And every front porch should come with a house chicken

Meet Sweet Costco. She offers complimentary porch delivery service. One fresh egg daily. No subscription required. 

As you probably know, selling a house right now is not easy, fast, nor in your favor. It's a tough market. Yet, there were people who came along and found the property/house of Lauren's advantageous and swooped it up. All with the condition that they move out (fairly) quickly - which they could do. 

And BOOM - merely weeks later, the moving van arrives in front of the rock house, giving way to their furniture and belongings finding their place(s) in the 4 bedroom, 2 bath home that has been patiently waiting for them. Alas, the house came alive. 

The main house on the property - which I identify as the rock house for obvious reasons - is now filled with laughter, love, little girl giggles, little boy monster truck races, snack requests every 17 minutes, and enough joy to fill every room.


Olive waits for Costco to lay her egg,
as though staring intensely at a chicken
speeds up the process
Spoiler: It does not

As they adapt into their own new ways of being, I have found there's additional assistance in the barn. Also, swapping of small children from house to house becomes oddly efficient. And figuring a new way of being - together - knowing a new rhythm will emerge.


Always ready 

Clothing optional

For us both to have our own homes, right next door to each other is the perfect mix of convenience and privacy which brings about happiness and autonomy. 

I'm speaking for myself, but this has felt like the most right thing that's happened in a very long time.

These last few years have been chok full of learning, growing and finding the soul inside of me I had lost. And this new season of life brings about the ability to be with those I love the most while practicing my own new ways of being in the world. How can I show up better, different, and show love in ways that others desire to be loved. Not just how I want to show love. How do they receive love? What does that look like? 

You know where I've missed the mark? Is learning that I need to ask them how they feel and receive love. I was never taught that in my life, that it's important and imperative to actually ask others how they desire to be loved and receive love. 

Also, add in during this time of growth and closeness with those I love the most, I know that I need to have the ability to hold my container of my own emotional regulation. Wow - I know that sounds deep because it is. But I've learned that I can practice to dip into what others are feeling, sense it in my body, be a better listener, and not allow myself to get washed away with someone else's emotions. This is a practice, friends, I'm not perfect with this, but having my family here lends to practicing new ways of being, this included.

Sometimes, my biggest breakthroughs have begin with realizing, "Ohhhhh, I've been accidentally doing that for decades." But the beautiful part of this? Is that awareness brings us choices.  

You see, in the past, I've been guilty of feeling the need to attempt to regulate another's emotions. It became a way of life. In an attempt to change my own behavior and combat this way of being with others, I've begun to recognize when an opportunity arises, so that I can shift my own behavior from feeling the need to regulate someone else's emotions to regulating my own, so they may, in turn, regulate their own emotions. I'm working on keeping a grounded presence, all while showing my nervous system that I can be close to someone's struggle without it becoming mine. Ugh. My goal? Love others deeply yet still have the ability to stay in my own body. It's a full time job. Growth is weird like that. 

Yes, this was, and has been, a complex ah-ha moment for me. It's hard when I learn things I was/am doing that was not in the best interest of others - or myself. Thank you, therapy. But I've also learned that this is (merely) a part of the growth I need to work on and have been given the opportunity to practice these life skills not only at home, but at work and out in the world. 

So while my family has arrived (yay!!) and I am loving it, leaning into it and feeling the peace it brings, it also boils down to this:

Cyndi, please pause

Think about the emotional skills you've gained

Try to try, to apply them appropriately

Try not to f it up, and if you do, apologize and repair, and keep trying to try

Show your love, girl

In a healthy way

Keep practicing, and practice some more

To have my family here now, gives me ALL the more reasons to be the mom, nana, friend and person they deserve

And that I deserve to be 💛


You know who else deserves a safe space?

Meet Snowy.


Before, at arrival

After, 2 weeks later

Snowy has a story that we'll never fully know. 

You see, he was living in Gunter as a stray. Lauren and Ryan begin to notice him around at times, as would feed him when the opportunity arose, along with another good Samaritan neighbor who was also trying to help feed and care for him. He was merely trying to survive, when at the request of Lauren, the other neighbor was able to catch him, and then agreed to meet me so that I can take him and provide him a home of his own.

He's young, still a pup, just under 1 year old. He's goofy, not yet able to fully control his big body yet, and hungry. Always hungry and eating like he's trying to make up for all the lost meals he never had. 

In this short 2 weeks, we've gotten him neutered, dewormed and treated for mange. He's kind of a mess as most stray dogs are. Yet as stray dogs often do, they bounce back when shown love and kindness - and food - and he's settling in nicely.

We tried many names out. Charlie, Echo, Crush - but the kids kept calling him Snowy because he's all white and that's what makes perfect sense in their little brains. The tiny people have spoken. Case closed. He's Snowy.


We'll get that eye figured out, too

In an effort to help Snowy realize this is his furever home, I kept him on a tie-out so he could not run away. I did this for a little over a week, and now he's living free and easy here on the farm. He is completely unconfined and runs around with all the dogs here. Penny and Dutch have begun the acceptance process and understand there's a new Great Pyrenees on site, but are still doing their own teachings with him on whose the boss. And for the record, the boss is not Snowy. That's a lesson still in progress. 

His best friend is Mia. He absolutely loves her and she's his dog-playmate. He does love to play as pups do, but also loves to chew on anything besides a real chew toy. So please keep all shoes and 'chewables' up and out of reach. 

Mia has been a magnificent mentor for Snowy. She has shown him it's okay to feel safe here. She shows him that she doesn't run away - nor should he. We've learned that together, how to shed the idea of food aggression, and that he'll have food for when he's hungry. We are learning that chickens are not playmates - nor a meal. That's another lesson still in progress - although no chickens have been harmed in this education process.

Will he guard with Penny and Dutch? I don't have an answer to that yet. I'm hoping with time he will. But for now, he's busy eating food whenever possible, chewing things that are not meant to be chewed and playing with his best friend, Mia. That will be fine, Snowy. And I can tell you from my own experience, I'm still learning about life too, my friend. We'll keep growing together. 

Snowy  12/10   Would rescue again.


Speaking of growing! 


Olive turned 3❣


We celebrated Olive at home

......and at her party with friends



Lots of birthday fun had at the park

Olive had her 3rd birthday party with her friends at Old Celina Park, where the kids played in the Splash Pad and on the playground. 

Since it was a early morning party, donuts were the sweet of choice, while the heat was kept at bay. It was so much fun for everyone!


I checked, it's in the birthday handbook that 
she gets to eat 3 donuts - tops only, of course

Have you ever read the book:
'The Berenstains Bears,
Too Much Birthday'


It's hard to hold a steady pace when your turning 3. Your either sprinting full speed towards your next adventure - or lying dramatically on the ground because your sock feels weird. There is no middle gear.


How's everybody holding up with this heat?

So far so okay. The heat is hard for chickens. And frankly, bitterly cold weather is easier for them than this hot hot heat. I've got fans going, lots of fresh water and plenty of shade. Hang in there, girlz!


Not the only fan - just their favorite fan. 

Impossibly adorable 💕

Fans, lots of water and a salt block
and they are doing great as well 💟
* Hope is standing behind me, supervising

from left to right,
Kitty, Cricket and June Bug
Morning feed time - and they are 
surviving the heat ✅

It's cool inside, right Pixie?
My Pixie Pie has grown into a 
beautiful onyx cat.
Eyesight is overrated.

Alrighty y'all, things have been wonderfully busy 'round these parts. 

Take into account that there's many layers to a move like this, such as school changes, possible work changes, home-life changes and it can be overwhelming. The Cannon's are making all the magic happen. Factor in that Lauren quit her librarian job to stay home now, and then after one day at home, had a job offer from another library in the area. The opportunities are plentiful - and I'll keep you posted on how it all shakes out. Who will work - and work where? Where will the kids be going to school now? I can't wait to watch it all unfold - right outside my front door.

We are just getting started.


Please stay cool in this heat. And if you happen to have a porch chicken.....please thank her for her service. 

Cyndi


No comments: