Tuesday, June 25, 2024

We all have people


It was just the other day that I realized I have people. It's a gift to have people around us to love us and lift us up. And then to have farm people alongside me as well is beyond measure. These amazing and talented people direct me, educate me, assist me and truth bomb me all coming from a place of love and concern. My farm people are Beekeeper Katie, Shannon The Farrier, and Jerry The Sheep Shearer. 


Let's start with Beekeeper Katie 🐝

It was in my latest update that Katie rated my bees at 'okay not great' (her words). I think that equates to a C+. She instructed me to go get a new bee hive box which I did. And then she showed back up to move the bee frames from their existing hive to the new box. 


New box about to have the frames 
placed inside

Katie
Katie checks for larvae, pollen, and all the 
things the frames should have inside a hive.
Then she moved the frames to the new box.
Their new hive home.


Katie said the new hive box is perfect for the bees now, and that our next step is to monitor how much they are eating. In order to do this, a feeder was attached to their hive with sugar water and vitamins. And Katie will come each week to refill it, and see how much they are eating. Why? I don't know. What do I know. I'm guessing it's because she wants to make sure the bees have access to enough food and are getting the vitamins they need to be healthy. Just like us, I suppose. But she did not say.


Fancy feeder

What happened was is that she came to do all this but I was not here (I was at work). You see, she can't always come on a Tuesday when I'm off work as she has a route and she picks the day and then just shows up. Lucky me, I missed another opportunity to get in my bee suit. 😉

She did let me know that they will need a lot of syrup and will also need pollen. She said she'd bring pollen patties on her next visit. This is all via text mind you.


This is the setup for now anyway. 
She has her smoker with her, and 
I got one too. Gina let me borrow hers 🙏


So she's got the bees all fixed up. She undid the home depot bucket feeder with syrup/sticks (for now) as that does not allow her to monitor how much the bees are eating. I don't know all these things, I just have her to help me keep my bees alive and as healthy as she can get them - and I appreciate it. I went to the intensive bee class you know. But beekeeping is an art. And I'd rather do just about anything than put on my bee suit. Maybe someday I'll say otherwise because Katie is determined to make me a beekeeper. She'll talk about bees to anybody that will listen and that's okay (right, Lauren?) I'm certainly glad she is one of my people. Thank you for all you do, Katie.


Who is this Jerry guy 🐑


Living the sweet grass life in the back pasture 🌱

You know I love me some sheep. And sheep are covered in wool. And as the ball of fire in the sky heats up, I contacted my buddy, Jerry The Sheep Shearer. And to the farm he came. He has new and fancy battery-powered sheep shears so no more long extension cords for him. He makes sheep shearing look easy - and people who make hard things look easy always fascinate me. 

Belle and Lulu are in great need of getting old wool off them even though they weren’t excited to see Jerry, I was excited for them. Knowing how good they’ll feel afterwards. 

You probably know that Belle and Lulu have a pasture and barn all to themselves. Turns out, that's not all that good for them right now with this abundance of sweet grass this past spring. Too much food out there yall and they've turned into BOG's. Big Ole Girls.


‘Before’ front view 

Side view

So. I knew they were big, but it was Jerry The Sheep Shearer who confirmed it and told me to do something about it.

Jerry showed up this past Friday to shear my two sweet ewes. Belle is my girl who I received as a 1 day old lamb from a local feed store. (Long story but it’s in the blog awhile back.) Lulu was the first daughter of Belle. And can you believe Belle is now going on 8 years old and Lulu is 6 1/2 years old. They are best friends and each other's everything. Love these girls.

Okay where was I. Oh yeah, Jerry showed up and since I had been at work, Ryan was kind enough to shut them up in the barn for Jerry's arrival. Thank you, Ryan! Luckily, I left work just in time to drive up after Jerry did, and we caught up on life, as I have had him out to the farm to shear my sheep many moons ago. And here he is again. Super nice guy. He's the guy that I gave my (sheep) shears to years ago because I thought I could buy sheep shears and shear my own sheep. Instead, I almost took my arm off trying. Hence, Jerry here you go, need some new shears? And do you know I gave Jerry those shears years ago and he said he still has them. I'm glad somebody could use them because laud knows I tried. Bad idea. Instead, Jerry is my go-to for sheep shearing now. And he trims their hooves as well. 


It’s getting hot in here
 so take off all your wool.

So he shears Belle and Lulu and tells me they are too big. He advises me to move them to a different pasture area and give them less access to grass and forbs (weeds). I watch him closely as he tells me this, and I can see how serious he is about sheep. He has 50 of them himself, he says. And then proceeds to show me how I will monitor and measure their weight loss. He says Belle only needs to lose a little weight but that Lulu needs to lose alot of weight. 


Lulu (right) is in need of a decrease in food supply
but really, you guys look good in my eyes 

Alrighty, I'm beginning to think I'm managing a weight wellness clinic around here. Who needs what, how much and where do they need to be pasture-wise. But really what I'm doing is being educated and realigned regarding my farm animals which I greatly appreciate. I will do as he recommends.

So that evening after Jerry left, I moved Belle and Lulu to the dry lot where Dora and Hope along with Poppy and Pippa reside.


This part of the land which I call my dry lot, allows
me to feed as needed and restrict excess food availability
or feed based on individual needs (talking to you
prego Pippa 💟)

So it makes sense that the sheep should be on the dry lot so that I can help them lose some weight and watch them carefully as Jerry recommended. He did say if they bleat too much, it means they are hungry. Boy do I know that because they can have all the food in the world and will still bleat for more food. Silly sheep.  ** Bleat is the term used for the sound a sheep makes like maa or meh. 


Welcome to the food desert!

No more buffet

Belle and Lulu have adjusted well to their new living area. I actually get to pet them much more here, and get to look in their rectangle eyes on the daily. Thank you, Jerry for being one of my people. He encourages me to text him anytime with questions or concerns. Love that. I'll try not to bother you, Jerry. But I appreciate that you're there when I need you.


In summary thus far, the bees need more food. The sheep, less. Got it.


Realignment for Hope, now

Shannon, my farrier showed up this past week to trim the horses and donkeys feet as she does every 6 weeks. I'm still in therapy from that particular first donkey hoof trim event 6 weeks ago. But this visit, Shannon brought backup for the donkey feet trimming and her name was Amethyst. Amethyst runs a rescue/sanctuary and knows how to handle restless and uncertain and scared and tough horses and donkeys. She takes no shit off any equine and has no f’s to give when it comes to these things. She was there to do the business of getting these donkeys feet trimmed all without a fight or any funny business. 

And you know what, she and Shannon got it done. Poppy did not throw herself on the ground this time. Nobody had to hold a donkey down. Nobody got hurt. And the donkeys feet were much improved since their last trimming with all abscesses gone and feet looking beautiful. It’s amazing what dry ground and good nutrition will do for donkey feet (and horses too). A big thank you to them both, as they are truly my people. Shannon is always there for me and has been for years. I can’t imagine having my horses without her. She’s a true equine guide, a wealth of information and always lets me know that I can call her anytime if I ever have any issues with my animals. Everybody should have a Shannon in their life. And I’m so grateful I do.

And with that said, she realigns me when needed. On this particular visit, she let me know that Hope has gotten way too big and you know what, she’s right. I knew that, but sometimes it’s important to have somebody tell you the things you already know.


Hope is technically a Shetland pony,
and they are a stockier breed. 
But she is too big.
 She loves to eat her feed and 
everyone else's feed too 


From l to r:
Poppy, Pippa, Dora and Hope in the back.

Shannon, thank you for all you do. Having you as my people is a privilege. I imagine all your customers say the same. And I’ll make sure Hope has a restricted diet to get her back in better shape. Oddly, it’s not always easy feeding less to those you love. But I need to - and that comes from a place of love. Hope, please remember, it's from a place of love. 


Despite what I think

My farm is not my only or actual therapist, yet as in the classic tale Animal Farm by George Orwell, there’s many things to learn on a farm. 

In this particular story whereby the farm animals rise up against their humans alleging they are controlling and take their produce (eggs, etc) with giving little in return is a reminder of many lessons in life. I find this book fascinating with deep meaning and multiple interpretations. And while it is predominantly political, it's metaphors are many. Mostly though, it reminds me as the person in charge of all the farm animals on my own farm, I'm to be more cognizant of how I am treating everyone. That's my take away from this book. Treat them as if they were me. 

Which brings me to another grouping of people I've come to know and love. Therapist. They truly are my people. Recently, mine had me write two lists: 1) what I'm looking for in a man and 2) what qualities I bring to the table in a relationship. Hummmm this sounds hard. But I did it and when it came time to review it all with her, she said: Now, you work on being the things on your first list. Be what it is your looking for. 

Wait, we aren't going to talk about the second list? Nope. Just be what it is your looking for. 

Big sigh. 

So I'm working on that and will be the rest of my life. Be what it is I'm looking for. Turns out, it's not as easy as it sounds. It all starts with my relationship with me, myself and I. Being my own people. 

What qualities am I looking for in a mate? Be that. And my #1 item on list number one of what I'm looking for in a partner? Actions align with words. So Cyndi, focus on your actions aligning with your words. Be responsible for your actions. Paddle your own canoe. Stay in your lane. Worry about yourself. Be accountable for doing what you say and saying what you do. And don’t forget #2 on the first list: Be impeccable and kind with words. Words are important. As is tone.

The trying to try never stops. And I’m gonna ride this til the wheels fall off. 


I'm wishing myself the best,

Cyndi


Ryan and Lauren have people….


Yeppers, Tilson is their people 
And the sign is up and things are getting real

The site for the house is now marked on their land and so it begins.

And also, they had a party for some of their people - their friends. 



Even Paul enjoyed the party

 
Fun was had by all. Bounce house.
Kids fished and caught fish (which is
important for kiddos).
Lots of farm animal petting. 
And sharing time with each other.

I know one thing for sure. This sweet family that lives with me? They are my true people ❤️





 





1 comment:

redtop said...

love your blog ...mom and i have read and reread it ....thanks for all the fun details ...love it

so glad the Cannons are about to break ground ......they must be a very happy team....good luck to them...

love ya all